“It has been a pleasure, an honor and a privilege to be a published author; it is one of the true joys and accomplishments of my life. Not everyone has the opportunity to realize a dream and I feel totally blessed to be in that number. During my tenure as a published author, I’ve discovered certain truths.” – Electa Rome Parks
1. You can’t please all of the people all of the time. Everyone is not going to love or even like your novels. And that’s OKAY.
2. Everyone, their mother and cousins will want to point out any editorial errors they may find within the pages of your books. Everyone’s a critic.
3. You don’t necessarily have to go to college to become a successful writer. I believe there are elements of writing that comes naturally, just like breathing.
4. Everyone thinks they can write a book. However, every book in the marketplace isn’t necessarily a good book.
5. Everyone thinks their life story should be a book.
6. Talent will only get you so far. Sometimes it’s all about being in the right place at the right time.
7. The right “handlers”, i.e. agents, editors, pr person, make all the difference in the world.
8. Every fiction novel has some element(s) of truth. Don’t believe the hype.
9. Writing is a business. Sales are the bottom line. No matter how talented you are, if you don’t have the sales, you won’t get the next deal.
10. There is such a syenergy when creative minds come together; it’s magic.
11. There is such a sense of freedom and joy in having the ability, from the very core of your soul to express yourself to the world; it’s almost like giving birth.
12. The new “renaissance” authors are making history and some are creating legacies.
13. Writing is a lonely and hard business to be successful in. Most of us can’t quit our day jobs.
14. Every author should pen at least one book that gives back to the universe in a positive, appealing manner to the masses.
15. You have to have a real love affair with the beauty and power of words in order to stick with it because the industry, like a lover, will take you through ups and down and sometimes screw you over.